What is BoxingYoga™
Described by Forever Sports magazine as a 'yoga regime designed for boxers that became a fitness phenomenon', BoxingYoga™ was created by an England Boxing Coach and a lifelong Yoga Teacher to improve physical strength, prevent injury and maximise performance.
BoxingYoga™ systematically strengthens and stretches the entire body
With a considered approach to exploring coordination, body awareness and correct posture alignment, BoxingYoga™ helps to drastically shorten recovery time and cultivates relaxation and muscular tension release. These are important factors in order to prevent injuries and optimise a healthy body and mind.
To maximise performance, BoxingYoga™ focuses on utilizing the whole body in a kinetic chain reaction with the power of the core and spiral dynamics of the spine. BoxingYoga™ looks at the whole pattern of movement in the musculoskeletal system and offers multi-stretching exercises in sequences, thus providing a routine for developing whole-body flexibility.
Born in a boxing club, BoxingYoga™ abandons yoga's more traditional conventions - chanting, esoteric beliefs underlying yoga philosophy and Sanskrit terminology - and focuses on a streamlined activity, directly targeting improved sporting performance.
BoxingYoga™ brings the mindset of a champion, one who learns equally from failure as from success, teaching participants to maintain focus, determination and composure in highly intense, challenging situations, just like a boxer. BoxingYoga™ pushes individuals to reach their potential whist ensuring that the exercises are safe and suitable to the needs of participants.
benefits of BoxingYoga™
- Increases whole-body power and strength through emphasising correct form and multi-strengthening exercises in sequence.
- Loosens up and counter-stretches tight muscles to help prevent repetitive use injuries, expand range of movement and flexibility.
- Teaches how to endure intense postures to improve mental strength, concentration and focus.
- Develops body awareness by concentrating on alignment, coordination and flow.
- Cultivates confidence, motivation and a positive mental attitude.
- Teaches controlled breathing necessary to improve balance, regain energy and increase stamina.
- Challenges individuals to push beyond their limits whilst simultaneously ensuring that the exercises are safe and suitable to their needs.
- Works as an effective means to reduce recovery time, stiffness and muscle soreness.
- Provides those new to boxing with an insight into the science behind the sport, its technical aspects and a challenging workout.
BOXINGYOGA™ CLASS STRUCTURE
BoxingYoga™ merges boxing technique with traditional and innovative yoga postures in a 60 minute class format. The four stages of the class are performed over 12 rounds, in one continuous movement sequence to music, with intensity adapted to participants' needs and ability.
The class starts with a warm up sequence to bring mobility into the spine and get the hips and hamstrings stretched out. Following this, we work on balancing postures to introduce focus and breath. The next stage works through the major muscle groups, starting with the upper body, then the core, moving to the back and down to the legs.
The third-stage, and peak of the class, puts it all together into an intense flow sequence, with an emphasis on alignment, endurance, mobility and strength. The class finishes with the final stage of passive stretch-out and a cool down at the end.